Nevada Man Diagnosed With Guillain-Barré Syndrome After Getting Flu Shot

Nevada Man Diagnosed With Guillain-Barré Syndrome After Getting Flu Shot

Shane Morgan of Las Vegas, Nevada was vaccinated against influenza on Nov. 2, 2018. Within 36 hours, he began exhibiting symptoms of influenza. “About 36 hours after he got the flu shot he started to get sick,” said Mr. Morgan’s wife, Monique.

After a week of being ill at home, Mr. Morgan told  his wife that he could not feel his legs and arms and that she should to take him to the hospital. “He’s like I can’t feel my legs… I need you to take me to the emergency room,” said Mrs. Morgan.1

Mr. Morgan, who had previously been “perfectly healthy,” was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of Centennial Hills Hospital in Las Vegas on Nov. 14, where he was placed on a ventilator and feeding tube. Doctors diagnosed him as having Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS).1 2

“I never dreamed that any of this could ever happen,” said Mr. Morgan.2

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states the most common side effects of the influenza vaccine are soreness, redness and/or swelling at the injection site, headache, fever, nausea and muscle aches and that, as with any vaccine, more serious adverse effects may occur and could include fainting, high fever or behavioral changes. The CDC advises watching out for post-vaccination signs of a severe allergic reaction, which may include difficulty breathing, hoarseness or wheezing, swelling around the eyes or lips, hives, paleness, weakness, rapid heart beat or dizzines.3

The CDC admits that GBS is also a potential risk associated with the seasonal influenza vaccine.3 GBS is an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the peripheral nervous system (the network of nerves located outside of the brain and spinal cord), resulting in muscle weakness, sometimes paralysis and breathing difficulties, which in rare cases may lead to death.4 5

Although most people recover from GBS, some retain residual symptoms such as excessive fatigue, sensory disturbances, muscle weakness, and chronic pain.GBS was added to the Vaccine Injury Table (VIT) of the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) created under the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 in March 2017.6 The VIT states that “For each subtype of GBS, the interval between the first appearance of symptoms and the nadir of weakness is between 12 hours and 28 days. This is followed in all subtypes by a clinical plateau with stabilization at the nadir of symptoms, or subsequent improvement without significant relapse. Death may occur without a clinical plateau.”

In addition to seasonal influenza vaccines, GBS has also been reported as a potential side effect of other vaccines including Merck & Co.’s live attenuated MMR (mumps, measles, rubella) II vaccine, as well as hepatitis B, meningococcal polysaccharide, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) and polio vaccines.7 8

References:

1 Barker T. UPDATE: Former Wyoming County Man Hospitalized After Getting A Flu Shot. WOAY TV Nov. 18, 2018.
2 Hart G. Las Vegas man blames flu shot for triggering rare disorder. WEAR TV Nov. 30, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Flu Vaccine Safety Information. CDC.gov Oct. 23, 2018.
CDC. Guillain-Barré syndrome and Flu Vaccine. CDC.gov Nov. 2, 2017.
National Institutes of Health. Guillain-Barré Syndrome Fact Sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke June, 2018.
6 Vaccine Injury Compensation Program Vaccine Injury Table. Revised Mar. 21, 2017.
7 Merck & Co. Recombivax HB Hepatitis B Vaccine (Recombinant). FDA.gov.
8 Vernon N, Jhaveri P. Adverse Effects of Adolescent ImmunizationsThe Journal of the American Osteopathic Association March 2014; 114: S13-S17.

19 Responses to "Nevada Man Diagnosed With Guillain-Barré Syndrome After Getting Flu Shot"

1. Elizabeth Ann (Jan) Patterson   December 6, 2018 at 2:37 pm

We can beg, we can implore, we can publish, we can educate, we can holler and we can denounce, ut the propaganda is too strong & people resist the truth- it is maddening! So like The Glorious Gospel, u wonder, how cld anyone refuse this marvellous gift? All sin forgiven, eternal life with The Father, through The Blood of Jesus, so simple, but: it is often pressure exerted….otherwise, a mystery,: we cld all be SAVED, or well, no vaccine….

2. Robert L . Wachsmuth sr .   December 6, 2018 at 5:19 pm

CDC PAYING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TAXPAYERS MONEYFOR VACCINE DEATH AND MUTILATION TO the TRILLION DOLLAR PHARMACEUTICAL CESSPOOL FRAUD .
    Using VACCINE INJURED Infants and Babies as a PROFIT MAKING SCAM.
    CDC Falsified documents of DEATH AND MUTILATION.

Doctors Killing off my Family.
    Done By the American Murder by Association.
    Doctors Killing for a Living

3. Andrea   December 6, 2018 at 6:19 pm

I’m not at all surprised yet the majority of the public has been brain washed into thinking these are harmless shots that prevent illness. Obviously our government and these companies don’t mind getting people sick or worse.

4. Vicki H   December 6, 2018 at 9:10 pm

My brother-in-law asked the doctor to submit an adverse reaction to the government when my sister got GBS last year. The doctor seemed surprised like it had not even crossed his mind. At the hospital, the staff said they regularly get people there with this illness because they got the flu vaccine. My sister was told to never get the vaccine again for the rest of her life. Luckily she survived with minimal effects although the recovery was slow and painful. Until the doctors and hospitals submit data to the government with the true rate of side effects and adverse reactions, people will continue to believe that they are safe.

5. Nannette   December 8, 2018 at 11:56 pm

My husband was diagnosed with GBS while cruising in Australia
    . With 24 hours he was on a respirator and paralyzed. He spent 21/2 weeks in the hospital in Australia, 2 weeks s state side, one week on a step down ward and Several months at the Pollytrama center at the VA. All of this happened in 2016. He was in and out of the hospital in 2016 & 2017. Fortunately in 2018 there has been no hospital visits. My husband is a retired RN. He basically saved his own life by tell the ER doctor he thought the symptoms mirrored those of GBS. He had not had a flu shot when all of happened. And yes, he was told he could never have a flu shot.

• Marci   December 14, 2018 at 3:00 am

Nannette, Did your husband get any vaccines or a tetanus shot prior to his vacation? I know of many GBS pts, who had one of those prior to being diagnosed with GBS. I am a GBS survivor. I still today come across stupid doctors, nurses, pharmacists, PTs & other health care professional who are clueless about GBS & offer me flu & other vaccines.Some argue with me, telling me I should get the flu shot. STUPIDITY has taken over the health care industry due to big PHARMA’s lies.

6. Bilbo Baggins   December 9, 2018 at 12:07 am

some medical org tried to sweet talk me into vaccination….they got pist when I asked them for the contra indications

7. Phillip Moderow   December 11, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Virtually EVryone I know in authority — my doctors, Mayo Clinic, the CDC — tell me that flu shots are safe. And yet, I still have doubts. The last flu shot I got was circa 1975, after which I got the flu. Haven’t had a flu shot or the flu since and I’m not going to get one, either. Yeah, yeah, the CDC tells us how rare it is but after this story and comments, I’m not so sure.

8. Amy Daly   December 12, 2018 at 1:54 pm

I can certainly relate. After a flu shot in 2010 I lost 4+ months of my life. Life support coma paralysis. I still believe the CDC should have to pay for the people who suffered.

9. Reva Berman   December 13, 2018 at 7:09 am

In Moorestown, NJ in 1987 there were 50 of us who got the flu shot. Some died and the rest of us got G.B.S. I was advised to never again get a flu shot and no one in my family gets one either.

10. Marci   December 14, 2018 at 3:01 am

Nannette, Did your husband get any vaccines or a tetanus shot prior to his vacation? I know of many GBS pts, who had one of those prior to being diagnosed with GBS. I am a GBS survivor. I still today come across stupid doctors, nurses, pharmacists, PTs & other health care professionals who are clueless about GBS & offer me flu & other vaccines.Some argue with me, telling me I should get the flu shot. STUPIDITY has taken over the health care industry due to big PHARMA’s lies.

11. Jewel Berns   December 14, 2018 at 6:00 pm

I got gbs after getting the flu shot this year. I started feeling ill within hours after the shot. Thank goodness no breathing problems. My arm was hurting, had a knot where I got the shot and I was getting weaker. Then I started getting numb, my feet. Up my legs. My hands and out my arms. My right wrist felt like I had a handcuff on it. Come to discover two of my fingers would freeze into a claw. I used my other to straighten it out. I felt like I was dying……and I hurt so bad…..I starting crying, which is not like me. I got in to see my doc and she ordered some tests and prescribed gababenton. It is helping, but it is far from gone. I will never get another flu shot!!!!

12. Ginny Sandel   December 23, 2018 at 2:47 pm

My niece was diagnosed with GBS in 2013 … she is paralyzed, in a wheel chair & will never walk again. She is currently 43 … so only 38 when diagnosed. I do not know if this followed a flu shot … something I need to ask her.

13. C. Hess   January 12, 2019 at 2:45 pm

My husband had GBS for a year . Was paralyzed and wore a heart monitor because his lungs would stop working. He was told by his doctor to never get the flu vaccine. Now suddenly doctor says he CAN get flu vaccine. Is that crazy? Now we do not want daughter who is going into healthcare to get it because she is genetically predisposed to GBS. But school and hospitals forcing it

14. P seibold   January 20, 2019 at 5:06 am

I had a flu shot Jan 1988. I got the flu within 2 hours. I then started losing all feeling of my limbs within 9 hours. I could not reach phone, was by myself. I got my feeling back slowly after 26 hours.I was in great physical shape& I believe that is why I was able to walk again. My doctor at the time told me I must be allergic to egg whites. I have no idea what happened to Doctor as his office closed within the year & can’t remember his name. 30 years later I am having major
    Nerve issues& back issues. The pool therapy helps me.

15. Derek Atkins   January 27, 2019 at 8:08 am

Hello to GBS sufferers, I had GBS after having a bladder infection it liked my immune system into overdrive & my legs stopped functioning so went direct to hospital, diagnosis GBS had the drip four four days of antibodies, after this my energy levels were so low for a year, I did some research & started taking BRANCH CHAIN AMINO ACIDS CAPSULES my Energy is normal now, so give this a try if you are weak after GBS

16. Bruce Ling   May 8, 2019 at 12:38 am

I took a Flu shot while in prison and almost died had it not been for the grace and mercy of God…Out of fear of liability for my near death and not being properly diagnosed or diagnosed at all for my vaccine injury…the prison medical staff and my primary health care doctors after leaving prison attempted to dissuade me from saying that I suffer from the flu shot? I’ve been fighting my case in the vaccine Court since 2014, months after my release from prison.And this is my second Petition due to my due process rights being conspired against with the doctors never initially giving me a proper vaccine injury diagnosis of GBS out of fear of liability… when I constantly told them and documented the symptoms that I suffered from then in 2011 and suffer from till this day?

17. Nicolle ward   June 9, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Totally

18. John Davis   June 16, 2019 at 2:30 pm

My 81 year old neighbor started falling down after a flu shot and then he died 3 weeks later. Then a week after the funeral his 71 year old wife started falling down ? Now 3 years later she is still falling down and is currently in the hospital with a broken leg. ???