‘Incredible Hulk’ Actor Hospitalized After Getting Pneumococcal Shot

‘Incredible Hulk’ Actor Hospitalized After Getting Pneumococcal Shot

The star of the 1970s TV series “The Incredible Hulk,” Lou Ferrigno, was hospitalized on Dec. 12, 2018 after receiving the pneumococcal vaccine for pneumonia. The vaccination left Ferrigno with fluid in his right bicep.1

Mr. Ferrigno, 67, tweeted:

Went in for a pneumonia shot and landed up here with fluid in my bicep.  I’ll be ok but it’s important that you keep an eye on who’s giving the shot and make sure they not only swab the spot correctly but that you watch the needle come out of the package.1

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are two pneumococcal vaccines licensed and used in the United States today: pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23) and pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13). The CDC recommends the 13-strain pneumococcal conjugate vaccine for all children younger than two years old, all adults 65 years or older, and people two through 64 years old with certain medical conditions. The CDC recommends the 23-strain pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine for all adults 65 years or older, people two through 64 years old with certain medical conditions, and adults 19 through 64 years old who smoke cigarettes.2

It is unclear which of the two pneumococcal vaccines was given to Ferrigno.

In an interview with CNN, William Schaffner, MD of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee said that the accumulation of fluid in Ferrigno’s arm may have been a “reaction to the vaccine” or it might have been because the “vaccination itself was not done properly.”1 If a vaccine, for example, is administered too high on the arm it can miss the muscle and instead hit a fluid-filled sac called the bursa, which protects the tendons of the rotator cuff in the shoulder. The debilitating vaccine injury is known as SIRVA ((shoulder injuries related to vaccine administration).3

Relatively few health care providers have ever heard of SIRVA and they tend to dismiss it, wrote Jennie Ann Freiman, MD in an article published in The Vaccine Reaction last year. It is an “underreported, painful side effect of vaccinations.”4

SIRVA is now recognized by the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) and the number of claims for compensation have been steadily rising.4

(photo credit: Twitter)

References:

1 Bonifield J. ‘Incredible Hulk’ actor Lou Ferrigno hospitalized after pneumonia vaccination. CNN Dec. 15, 2018.
2 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Pneumococcal Vaccination. Dec. 6, 2017.
3 Bursitis of the Shoulder. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
4 Freiman JA. SIRVA: A Risk With Every Vaccine. The Vaccine Reaction Jan. 25, 2017.

9 Responses to "‘Incredible Hulk’ Actor Hospitalized After Getting Pneumococcal Shot"

1. Frank   December 21, 2018 at 8:02 am

Footnotes missing.

2. Lawrence Greenberg   December 21, 2018 at 12:44 pm

I turned 65 in June. At my annual physical in August, my physician, to whom i have been going for 25 years, told me that now that I have turned 65, it is recommended that I receive a series of pneumonia vaccines. I looked at him, waited until he was looking me in the eye, and said: “I don’t think so.” He did not say another word.

3. deja   December 22, 2018 at 3:43 am

why does anyone need a pneumonia vaccine?? and why is pneumonia so hard to spell lol

4. Anne   December 22, 2018 at 10:09 am

Lawrence,Spot on with your response to the physician.I am 62 and they are starting that with me.I don’t,never have and never will immunize myself or loved ones My physician doesn’t need to know all that.I let him advise and politely so no Works well. Thanks for responding to the article. I have supported NVIC for 35 years and they have yet to lead me astray.Wishing you and yours a happy healthy holiday season

5. Penny Olson   December 22, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Lawrence Greenberg: GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

6. j   December 23, 2018 at 3:26 pm

See, if Lou had survived, the CDC, et al., traitors could lie the vaccines are better than sliced beer.
    What only 23 mindless chemicals at a time? How many are industrial and unregulated?
    _ McHello, I used to think refined foods and dry boxed breakfast cereal were bad. (And they were.) But now with NO WAY TO PUNISH VACCINE DEATH-DEALERS, plus GMA/MO/ME frankenfoods, we’re still all going to die. Just sooner. Or maybe we’ll also look more preserved.

On whose children were any vaccines ever tested? (We cannot do it here, or did they change the law?) So which desperate 3rd-world place was willing to risk their kids, for a few pieces of silver ?? Sure, sure, they weren’t EVER TOLD the risks.

7. Linda White   December 26, 2018 at 5:58 pm

I got this shot back in September and am still I’ll from it.
    Lost the use of my arm it was giving in.
    I have stiffness in all my muscles that
    Requires a steroid shot every two weeks and I have been on two different and inflammatory drugs.
    It has made a Major impact on my life.
    Have recently talked to an attorney about this.

8. Linda White   December 26, 2018 at 6:02 pm

I got this shot back in September and I’m still suffering from it.
    It’s set off an inflammatory reaction in my whole body.
    My whole body hurts and stiffness is unbearable.
    I’m taking steroid shots every two weeks I have gone through a series of anti-inflammatory drugs.

9. Jane Brandenstein   January 13, 2019 at 5:46 pm

I received the Prevnar13 vaccine in November of 2017. It triggered massive inflammation in my body, severe migraines, tinnitus, and the Epstein Barr virus. I’m better after going alternative (recommended by a neurologist), but still not totally out if the woods. I have to be mindful of my diet and rest. I may never be whole again. My understanding is that this vaccine is banned in Great Britain because due all the injuries and deaths associated with it.