A two-year-old boy with the surname Hu died on Nov. 28, 2018 in China’s Hunan province. The child lost consciousness a day after being vaccinated with the MMR (mumps, measles, rubella) vaccine at a health center in the Chinese city of Changsha (Kaifu district) and was rushed to the hospital, but doctors were not able to revive him.1
According to published reports, the boy had also previously been given vaccines for diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough) and tetanus (DPT), hepatitis B, tuberculosis, polio and Hansen’s disease.1
The boy had been diagnosed with a rare congenital lung malformation called horseshoe lung—a fusion of pulmonary tissue between the right and left lungs—2but he had undergone a health examination before being vaccinated and the exam “showed no abnormalities.”1
Chinese health authorities are investigating the case.
On Nov. 11, 2018, the Chinese government published a draft Vaccine Management Law online for public comment. The proposed legislation would allow people to sue pharmaceutical companies for punitive damages in cases of death or serious illness caused by faulty vaccines.1 3
1 Low Z. Chinese boy dies after being given MMR vaccine. South China Morning Post Nov. 30, 2018.
2 Craig Hacking C, Venkatesh M et al. Horseshoe lung. Radiopaedia.
3 Pinghui Z. A new law could let Chinese vaccine victims sue. Inkstone Nov. 13, 2018.
4 Cáceres M. Defective DTaP Vaccines in China Due to “Uneven Ratio of Liquid”? The Vaccine Reaction Aug. 3, 2018.
5 TVR Staff. Chinese Vaccine Maker Fined a Record $1.3 Billion. The Vaccine Reaction Oct. 24, 2018.